PB & J… Such a classic combination!! These muffins are tender with a chew almost like sticky pudding, flavourful but not too sweet, loaded with protein & fibre, and such a fun recipe to make!
Recipe modified from The Minimalist Baker (oh I love all her recipes especially when it’s one-bowl!)
- 2 batches flax eggs (2 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 Tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (sub honey if not vegan)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or sub light brown sugar *reduced amount from original recipe)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, grape seed oil or olive oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup salted creamy peanut butter (+ more for topping)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dairy free milk or water
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend (if not gluten-free, sub whole-wheat pastry or unbleached all-purpose)
- Topping: About 2 tsp Jam (I used raspberry) and 1 tsp Peanut Butter for each muffin
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Lightly oil the muffin tin.
- Prepare flax “egg” by mixing flaxseed meal (aka ground flaxseed) and water together, let sit for about 2 minutes.
- Mix all the remaining wet ingredient together in a bowl (except for the topping).
- Add all the remaining dry ingredients to the bowl and mix well. The batter should be quite thick and not runny.
- Evenly spoon batter to the prepared muffin tin. Using an ice cream scoop makes this step so easy!
- Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in the muffin tin for at least 20 minutes. Then use a small knife to loosen the edges of the muffins and remove from the tin. Enjoy!